European Voluntary Service in the Czech Republic in a forest kindergarten
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Project dates: 01/10/2017 to 30/09/2018
Duration: 12 months
Applicants: 1 person aged between 18-30
Application deadline: 25/04/2017
Hosting institution: LUZANKY – stredisko volneho casu Brno, prispevkova organizace
Project description of this European Voluntary Service project
Siska, o. s. is a non-profit and a non-governmental association established in 2012. It is running forest kindergarten and supporting a community life and environmental education. Consequently, volunteers at Siska will accomplish tasks mainly as an assistants of pedagogues. First of all, the volunteer will assist during common activities, accompany children in the forest. He/she will assist in regular courses for kids – music, arts, sports, handicraft etc. – according to their interest.
There are also occasional events or summer camps where volunteers’ support is needed. Due to those children are very young, the volunteers will also help them to put on clothes, dining, and so on. Volunteers are may be asked to help with practical tasks in connection with the run of kindergarten – cooking, washing the dishes, cleaning and gardening. This changes during holiday seasons when we organize camps for children (at this point we will discuss the volunteer’s participation). Luzanky will support and welcome our volunteers to bring new ideas and organize own activities for children. Coordinating organization Luzanky hosts other European Voluntary Service volunteers and they have the opportunity to meet each other every week on common coordinator meetings.
The travel costs will be reimbursed up to a certain amount allocated by the European Commission. Accommodation and food are provided by the host organization. The volunteer will live in a flat (private room, shared flat) in Brno. We provide them a card for public transport. The volunteer will also receive a food allowance and pocket money monthly.
The requirements for this international volunteer position are:
- 1 volunteer out of 2 is motivated to work with children outdoors, in touch with nature and natural conditions,
- would bear the difficult weather conditions that we have sometimes,
- due to the conditions the project is not suitable for people with allergies,
- personal experience with outdoor activities, scouting, woodcraft etc. is welcome,
- active volunteers willing to propose their own ideas and projects will be appreciated,
- due to the specific work with children and youngsters we cannot accept volunteers under 18 years old.
To apply for this project, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “EVS Siska” not later than 25th April 2017! If chose you to the second round of selection, be ready for a Skype interview. We will reveal the results after 30th April 2017.
Please answer these questions and add them to your CV:
1. We spend almost entire working time outside (also in winter), which for some people might be very demanding. Do you think you could manage it?
2. Do you have some camping skills like making fire, chopping wood etc.?
3. How would you solve a conflict between two children who are fighting over a toy? Please describe briefly how you would proceed.
4. What would you like to gain from your EVS?
5. In what area are you good and would you like to share your knowledge and experience with others?
Important: This organisation has additional mentoring or other support suitable for young people with social obstacles, educational difficulties, cultural differences or similar.